Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Embroidery challenge!


I decided to swap less and enter some challenges I had been eyeing a bit. The fist one due was the embroidery challenge. Now I know what you can be thinking: you don't know how to embroider. So I took all my House watching time and employed it into learning this wonderfully fun and easy art: embroidery. The Internet is really a great tool if used properly, I found amazing video tutorials on many stitches and a great blog about tinting fabric with crayons.
Needle-n- thread is a great site that has free videos on many stitches. I learned the back stitch, satin stitch, seed stitch and the french knot for my project. They have a great video library and great reviews on products and techniques.
For the crayon tinting I followed this tutorial on a blog called The Floss Box. She is a Craftster member too!
I tried first to tint my fabric (before starting on the embroidery) using oil pastels, but the color just leaked everywhere making a huge mess. Then I tried using chalk pastels but in the pre-wash it washed away leaving an ugly stain on the fabric. On the third try I used Crayola crayons and it looks fantastic! I went crazy with color and colored inside the patterns and the outside too (the green). Next time I will go more easy on it ;)
I'm loving embroidery so keep on the lookout for some more embroidery goodness!
XOXO
Maria Isabel

No comments:

Post a Comment